Express meal: Socca, maple syrup with bacon
- Tin of chickpeas, drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cake Flour – 2 tbsp.
- Chickpea flour 2 tbsp
- 2 eggs
- Maple syrup
- Streaky bacon – 5 slices
- Baby gem lettuce leaves
- In a blender, blend chickpeas with a glug of olive oil to form loose paste.
- Add the flour and egg, it should resemble runny custard (creme anglaise).Add a extra drizzle of olive oil if its too thick.
- Add a drizzle of maple syrup
- Heat two pans.
- Fry bacon till crisp.Add maple syrup and butter. Set aside.
- In the other pan, ladle socca mixture in (enough for pancake thickness of R5 coin). Fry for 30 seconds. Turn and fry for another 10 seconds.
- Remove from pan and place onto plate/board.
- Add oil to the pan and fry an egg until crispy edges form but the yolk is still runny.
- Pop lettuce through the hot bacon pan.
- Top pancake with quick lettuce leaves, bacon and crispy egg.
Recipe 1: Yellowtail Ceviche, avo and wasabi puree and crispy shallots
- 1kg yellowtail fillets, small dice
- 2 red onions – diced
- 2 red chilli – chopped
- juice of 3 limes
- juice of 1 orange
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 20 leaves mint – chopped
- bunch coriander , stalks and leaves- chopped
- Flesh of 2 avos – pureed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. wasabi paste
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 onions – peeled and mandolin sliced
- Oil for frying
YEASTED BREAD DOUGH
- 500g bread flour
- 1/2 sachet (50g) dry yeasy
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups tepid water
- olive oil
- Mix together the ingredients and set aside to marinade for +- 1 hour
- Blend avo flesh in blender. Add other ingredients and blend, adding tiny amount of water to get smooth puree consistency
- Decant into squeezie bottle and refrigerate till needed
- Mix the flour, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil in a large mixing bowl and add the water gradually – the dough should be lose but tight enough to handle.
- Knead for 10 minutes , cover and leave to rise for couple of hours
- Break off small fist size pieces, flatten and fry in a hot pan with lots of butter and garlic olive oil basting
Recipe 2: Ricotta, heritage carrots and peanut honeycomb
- Push out shallot slices into rings
- Sprinkle with cornflour, deep fry till crisp.
- Remove, drain, season and set aside
- Plate and serve
Ricotta, heritage carrots and peanut honeycomb
- 500g ricotta
- 2 Tbsp fennel fonds, chopped
- heritage carrots x 40 – mixed colours
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 325g castor sugar
- 80g liquid glucose
- 60g honey
- 12g bicarb
- 100ml water to loosen
- 1 tsp sea salt
PRE-PREP – HONEYCOMB:
- In large pot over medium heat, put sugar, glucose, honey and water.
- Bring up to 155 degrees.
- Add peanuts.
- Add bicarb.
- Tip out onto non-stick mat, sprinkle with salt and leave to set.
- Once set chop into chunks.
- Mix olive oil and fennel fonds through ricotta, set aside.
- Blanch carrots in boiling water for about 3-5 ,minutes and refresh in ice water
- Roast whole carrots in foaming butter with garlic in pan.
- Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool to room temp.
- Plate and serve
Recipe 3: Pork with fennel and apple
- 1 pork shoulder and 2 pork bellies
- 2 bulbs Fennel – finely sliced
- 2 greens apples – finely sliced
- 2 bunches chives – chopped
- Crème Fraiche
- 3 bunch parsley leaves
- 40 leaves mint
- 2 onions
- 200ml white wine vinegar
- 200ml boiling water
- Thyme to mak a thyme bush
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
Olive oil basting
- Season the pork well with salt
- Make a basting sauce with olive oil and garlic
- Make a basting brush with lots of thyme
- Put pork onto the colas to roast for 4 – 5 hours, basting every hour or so
- Mix fennel, apple and chives with crème fraiche to form a slaw
- Set aside
- Chop herbs finely.
- Mix with shallots
- Add vinegar and water
- Leave to stand till needed.
- Plate and Serve.
Recipe 4: Smores
- Digestive biscuits x 16
- 45ml/40g gelatine powder
- 200ml water
- 312.5ml castor sugar
- 500g glucose
- 75g honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 200g chocolate
- 200ml cream
- 2 tbsp cognac/brandy
- pinch of salt
- Make ganache
PRE PREP – MALLOWS
- Combine gelatine, water and sugar
- Melt over double boiler.
- In a separate bowl, combine the glucose, honey and vanilla
- Slowly start beating the glucose mix, adding the gelatine mixture slowly
- Beat for about 15 minutes
- Line a metal tray with parchment paper, cornflour and icing sugar .
- Pour out onto tray. When set, cut out into rounds the same size as the digestives.
- Break chocolate into pieces and put into bowl lover a double boiler to melt.
- Heat cream and pour over chocolate.
- Stir till chocolate has melted. Stir in the liqueur. Set aside till needed.
- Toast disc of mallow and sandwich between digestives.
- Serve with dipping sauce.