Express meal: Beef Tartare, toast and sriracha mayo
- Springbok loin, diced – 150g
- 1 shallot – diced
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp taragon mustard
- 1 tbsp. capers – diced
- 2 tbsps. cornichons – chopped
- 1 tbsp. parsley – chopped
- Tabasco to taste
- 1 Tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Olive oil
- S & P
- Hardboiled egg (10 minute boil)
- Couple of quail eggs, olive oil
- Grilled ciabatta
- Cold butter
For the mayo:
- 50ml mayo
- 1 tbsp. crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp. sriracha
- Finely chop the bavette.
- Mix with the shallot, chilli, capers, cornichons and parsley.
- Season with the tobasco, worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce.
- Grate in whole boiled egg.
- Top the grilled ciabatta with slivers of cold butter
- Heat a pan with a drizzle of olive oil and fry 2 quail eggs
- Mix mayo, crème fraiche and sriracha together.
- Serve with the tartare.
Recipe 1: Crab, avo, grapefruit and almond espume
- 1 kg white crab meat
- 1 red chilli – chopped
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 4 ripe avos – chopped
- 4 breakfast radishes, mandolined
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 fresh ruby grapefruit – peeled and segmented
- 500ml almond milk
- 200ml cream
- 4 leaves gelatine – soaked
- 1 cup flaked almonds – toasted to serve
- 2 tsp curry powder
- Edible flowers to serve
- Peel the grapefruit, pop the peels into a pot. Place a sieve over the peels in the pot. Segment the grapefruit into the sieve to catch the juice. Squeeze out any juice left on the pith of the grapefruit.
- Pick the crab meat on a metal tray. Dab to get rid of any excess moisture.
- In sep bowl, add diced avo and dress with lemon juice
- Place grapefruit segments onto kitchen towel to dry.
- Strain grapefruit juice into a pan, reduce g/fruit juice by a third. Whisk in about 150ml olive oil to form an emulsion.
- Decant into squeezie bottle for later.
- Scald/heat milk and cream till steam visible. Do not boil.
- Squeeze out gelatine sheets and stir into milk mixture.
- Strain through a sieve and season with salt.
- Decant 1/2 into espuma gun and decant the other half in a contianer and chill in fridge till set.
- Drizzle grapefruit with olive oil and season with a light dusting of pepper
- Add diced avocado to crab
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Add chopped parsley and curry powder
- Serve with vinaigrette, scoop of almond jelly and grapefruit segments. Finish with radish segments, almond foam, toasted almond flakes and edible flowers.
Recipe 2: Line fish, roasted jerusalem artichoke with a salad of green beans, radish, shallot and egg vinigrette
- Line fish – (120g per person = 1.5 kg fillet) – trimmed and portioned
- 750g beans– topped, blanched and halved
- 2 shallots – finely diced
- 2 chillis, finely diced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 Daikon radish – peeled and finely julienned
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- Cup of toasted cashew nuts (WW chilli cashews)
- 500g jerusalem artichokes
- 100g butter
- olive oil
- juice of a lemon
- Handful of dune spinach
PRE-PREP – VEG:
- Pour olive oil into large mixing bowl
- Finely grate eggs into the olive oil
- Add shallots and chilli
- Season with lemon juice, stir well until emulsified.
- Put aside until later
- Blanche beans
- Dice shallots
- Get two pans nice and hot with olive oil and butter and add 2 onion quarters to each pan, Add the artichokes and let them colour, Season and pop in the oven to roast for about 30 minutes.
- Peel and julienne Daikon
- Add dressing to a bowl and add the daikon to the dressing, mix.
- Slice beans in half, blanch and refresh in ice water
- Toss through dressing
- Heat 2 pans with olive oil
- Pop 2 Kinglkip fillets into each pan
- Cook for about 3 minutes on a side
- When the artichokes come out of the oven, drizzle them with lemon juice
- Add chopped cashew nuts to the salad. Heat fish and artichokes. Stir dune spinach through pan juices.
- Plate and serve
Recipe 3: Prune Souffle
INGREDIENTS – makes at least 6 souffles
25g prune puree per souffle:
- 250g pitted prunes
- 1 cup boiling water
50 g creme patisserie per soufflé:
- 1,5 litres milk
- 312 g flour
- 8 egg yolks
- 188g butter – cold cubes
For the meringue:
- 250 g egg whites
- 400g caster sugar
- Warm milk in a large pot
- Mix butter and flour in food processor until sea sand like
- When the milk is warm whisk in the flour and butter and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes whisking constantly
- Remove from heat and whisk in the egg yolks, beat for 3 minutes then decant into container and set aside
- To make puree; In a saucepan, cover prunes with boiling water,
- Bring to a simmer, cook for about 15 minutes.
- Puree and pass through a strainer.
- Make meringue
- Mix creme pat into prune paste
- Mix 1/2 the meringue in
- Fold the other half of the meringue in gently
- Pour into buttered soufflé dishes
- Bake at 180 for 13 minutes
- Serve immediately